Report for the World is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting and training a new generation of journalists to cover the most important stories of their generation.
The GroundTruth Project has established funding guidelines that adhere closely to the PBS standards and practices for transparency, independence and integrity. Report for the World is committed to ensuring that the journalism created by its corps members is free from undue influence by funders. To this end:
- The news organizations hosting Report for the World corps members have sole editorial control over the content created for them by corps members and make all publishing decisions.
- Donors who contribute to local news organizations that are hosting Report for the World corps members, or to Report for the World directly, will not have any influence over the content as a result of their donation.
- Report for the World will only place reporters in news organizations with a stated commitment to not having coverage be influenced by advertisers or donors.
- Unless anonymity is requested by the donor and that donor’s annual gift represents less than 10% of the program or news organization’s total budget, Report for the World will provide the names of donors above $5,000 upon request.
- In our relationships with philanthropic partners, we will take care to avoid any actual or perceived conflicts of interest and the potential for audience confusion of a funder’s role.